Renting usually means lots of white and not being able to paint over it. I am a neutral-pallet loving girl but all this white can make me go crazy! I shared some neutral and some colorful ways to deal with renter’s-white, but today here are some things to do to your walls with no paint!
- In our last apartment I covered our dining room wall with burlap. I had a huge roll of it left over from my wedding so I used my staple gun and tacked it up. It was a great focal wall, contrasted with the brick fireplace well and warmed it all up.
- Did you know you can iron fabric on to the walls? I’ve never tried it but it sounds cool!
- Make a blackboard wall! Blackboard walls are all the rage right now! I would love to do one in my apartment for the kiddos I nanny to play with, but I haven’t had time yet! My idea is to buy foam-core board from the dollar store, paint it with a few coats of blackboard paint and tack the boards to the wall with my trusty staple gun.
- Make your own wall paper! In our last apartment I used an old book (it was an old out of date book I got for free) to create a head board. I ripped out some pages and used sticky-tack. I’m doing the same thing in our current apartment only I’m working on covering an entire wall in our living room.
This is very time consuming but I love how it is turning out!
- You could also use gift wrap to “wall paper” a wall. I’m planning on doing that in my little laundry room and I made a headboard out of some polka-dot gift wrap I found in target’s dollar bin (I used a whole roll).
- There are also some cool things on the market! Vinyl letters, quotes, and even renter’s wall paper that is completely removable and re=usable! Way cool (but somewhat spendy!)!
See some more solutions to your Decorating Dilemmas in my 31 Day series HERE!